Rock climbing Instructor Assessment
The Rock Climbing Instructor scheme enables experienced rock climbers to instruct climbing on single pitch crags and artificial climbing walls and towers in the UK and Ireland.
It is aimed at active, experienced rock climbers with a genuine interest in climbing and supervising groups. Once qualified, a Rock Climbing Instructor will be able to teach climbing skills and manage groups safety whilst climbing, bouldering and abseiling.
Before attending an assessment course participants must have met the following prerequisites:
- You must have attended a Rock Climbing Instructor (or Single Pitch Award) training course or been granted exemption from training.
- You must be familiar with the syllabus.
- You must be competent leading Severe grade climbs on outdoor crags with leader-placed protection.
- You must have led a minimum of 40 graded rock climbs with traditional protection at a variety of venues (of which at least 20 MUST be at Severe grade or above).
- You must be proficient in the use of climbing walls and have a minimum of 30 climbing wall leads graded at F4 or above.
- You must be proficient in outdoor bolt protected sport climbing and have a minimum of 10 sport climb leads graded at F4 or above.
- You must have assisted in the supervision of 20 instructed sessions. These sessions should be at a variety of different venues with 10 being on indoor climbing walls and the other 10 on outdoor crags. A session is a half day or evening. At least five of these sessions must have personal reflective comments recorded on DLOG.
- You must hold a current first aid qualification, which involved at least two days of training and included an element of assessment.
Assessments are run over two days and cost £190 per person
10th – 11th June
12th – 13th August
Reassessments are generally run on a 1:1 basis and cost £160
Contact us for booking, and to discuss reassessments or alternative dates.
All NGB courses are run on behalf of Mountain Training Board Ireland
Sam Lamont (verified owner) –
Very thorough, transparent and fair assessment brought to life with bringing along some novice clients to work with. Learned a lot through the discussion with lots of tips and suggestions about how to make the systems A1 and avoid problems. Personally it was great to have an expert checking what I was doing was correct and it’s given me the confidence to push on with my own climbing progression as well as opening the door to work with others. Thanks Jonny!