Climbing Wall Development Instructor
The Climbing Wall Development Instructor Award (CWDI) builds on the Climbing Wall Instructor and Rock Climbing Instructor awards. It trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to develop climbers beyond basic climbing skills. This includes the teaching of lead climbing on artificial climbing walls with fixed protection.
Before attending a training course candidates are required to register with Mountain training and are required to meet the follow criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Hold either a Climbing Wall Instructor (formerly Climbing Wall Award) or Rock Climbing Instructor (formerly Single Pitch Award)
- Have led at least 50 routes
- At least 25 of the above must be at grade F6a or above
- Have climbed at at least 3 major indoor climbing walls
- Have belayed a leader on at least 50 climbs
- Have at least 20 supervising sessions post CWI(CWA)/RCI(SPA) qualification. At least 5 of these sessions must have personal reflective comments recorded in the Logbook.
- Be a member of one of the three Mountaineering Councils; Mountaineering Ireland, the British Mountaineering Council or Mountaineering Scotland.
Before attending an assessment course candidates must have meet the following perquisites:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must have attended a Climbing Wall Development Instructor (or Climbing Wall Leading Award) training course or have been granted exemption from training.
- You must have led a minimum of 100 different lead climbs at least half of which must be a grade of French 6a or above at three different major climbing walls.
- You must have assisted or observed at least 5 teaching leading sessions delivered by a suitably qualified person. These five sessions must have personal reflective comments recorded in your logbook.
- You must also hold a current, relevant first aid qualification, which involves 8 hours of training and an element of assessment.
Training and assessment courses are run on demand. Contact Jonny directly for availability.
Training and assessment courses are run over one day and both cost £100.
All NGB courses are run on behalf of Mountain Training Board Ireland.