The Climbing Wall Instructor award trains and assesses candidates in the skills required to supervise climbers on purpose built artificial climbing walls and boulders. It is ideal for people who work in climbing walls or at venues with permanent or mobile climbing towers.
It is primarily concerned with ensuring good practice, leading to the safe enjoyment of climbing activities, and to an understanding of the sport. It covers the supervision and management of activities such as bouldering, the teaching of basic movement skills and roped climbing, excluding the teaching of leading.
Before attending a climbing wall instructor training course participants must have registered with mountain training ireland and are required to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 17 years old.
- Be a member of one of the three Mountaineering Councils.
- Have at least 6 months climbing experience.
- Have climbed at 3 different walls on at least 15 different occasions, including at least 1 major public wall.
- Have led 10 routes at Fr4 on walls.
Before assessment candidates must have met the following prerequisites:
- You must be at least 18 years old to attend the assessment.
- You must have attended a Climbing Wall Instructor (or Climbing Wall Award) training course or been granted exemption from training.
- You must have logged a minimum of 30 visits to at least three different climbing walls.
- You must have led a minimum of 40 climbs on climbing walls.
- You must be confident at leading routes at Fr 4.
- You must have assisted in the supervision of at least 15 instructed sessions on at least two different walls, including a large public facility, in a variety of contexts. At least five of these sessions must have personal reflective comments recorded on DLOG.
- You must hold a current first aid qualification, relevant to your work as a Climbing Wall Instructor.
Training and assessment courses are run on demand. Contact Jonny directly to discuss availability.
Training courses are run over two days and cost £180 per person.
Assessments are a 1 day course and cost £100 per person.
All NGB courses are run on behalf of Mountain Training Board Ireland